Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm feeling a draft

As a rule I usually don’t analyze the draft; even when I hosted a radio show, the most we ever got into the realm was my “mocking mock draft” where I would crib someone’s best guess and make bad jokes about each of the picks. But, I’ll be helping out with WTOP’s coverage Thursday night (likely making an appearance or two on air) so I guess this qualifies me as some type of expert. So without further adieu, here goes…

As with most teams, the Skins will be looking at 3 different scenarios in round one, trade up, stand pat at 4 or trade down. Let’s start with number one

- Skins trade up to take Quarterback Sam Bradford: since they traded away their 2nd round pick in the McNabb deal, and gave up their 3rd to pick Defensive End Jeremy Jarmon in last year’s supplemental draft they don’t really have a lot of ammunition. Washington could package their pick and Albert Haynesworth (and possibly Jason Campbell) to move up to number one. If I’m St. Louis I do that in a heartbeat as I’d be turning my #1 overall pick into three starters (Haynesworth at DT, Campbell at QB and the Offensive Tackle I take at #4). But I think Shanahan’s too smart (or Allen will keep him grounded enough) to not go after a quarterback after trading for one weeks ago

So if trading up is out of the way standing pat seems to be the course of action…or does it

- Skins stay at number 4: likely this would mean the Redskins would have their choice of the two Okie Offensive Tackles, State’s Russell Okung or OU’s Trent Williams. Either one is a solid pick and they would immediately solidify the offensive line. The wild card here is if the Rams for some reason decide not to pick Bradford and no one trades up to get him. I think Washington would then have to think hard about getting a possible franchise QB, that they wouldn’t have to give up anything extra for.

But even if Bradford did slip, the Redskins wouldn’t want to anger McNabb by already bringing in his understudy. That leads us to scenario 3…

- Skins trade down: I know you’re asking “Don’t they have to have a partner to trade down”? Yes, but that could happen. Flashback to last year’s draft; when Oakland passed on the lock pick of Michael Crabtree at number 7, and reached for Darius Hayward-Bey instead, a Rube Goldberg mechanism was set in motion that let Brian Orakpo slip all the way to number 13 (which in hindsight he had no business falling to). If one of the top three (Bradford, Suh or McCoy) isn’t picked by the top three teams (best bets, Rams take one of the tackles instead of Bradford at #1 or the Lions grab an offensive tackle at #2) then the Skins should have a nice bargaining chip to grab some picks in rounds 2 and 3.

So remember, root for the first 3 names called to not be Bradford, Suh and McCoy; if that’s the case, things might get awful interesting for Skins fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment