Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh no, we suck again!

Video of the day

I might try and sneak this into the rotation at Geaneas' wedding this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I

So now to the Redskins...

Boy was that bad on Sunday. Just f-ing pathetic. A gift wrapped 14 points to take 17 to 2 (TWO! - Casey Kasem tribute) lead and they still can't hang on. An ultra-pathetic offensive line (now with the injuries) and a defense that hasn't stopped anybody in a key situation for years now, brought another loss to D.C. And while I'm hoping for them to keep losing so folks wise up and come to their senses about Snyder, part of me was rooting for them on Sunday. So that meant I was extremely pissed about DeAngelo Hall's "attempt" (and I use the term loosely) at a tackle at the end of the game.

You all know the play I'm talking about...3 and 8 with 2 minutes left. Skins stop the Panthers, Campbell gets a chance to lead them down for a tying field goal; Panthers get a first down, game is over. Carolina runs a naked bootleg with no receiver in the pattern. THIS, is a give up call. John Fox and company were saying, we'll let our slow assed quarterback fake a handoff, roll out, and if half the Skins defense has had their feet amputated, MAYBE, we'll get the first down.

So what happens, our newly Brinks truck paid corner (the same one the Raiders - THE RAIDERS FOR GOD SAKES - cut halfway through the season last year) executed the triple crown of defensive ineptitude. First off, Hall was the contain man on the play. He's supposed to let no one get outside of him, and he certainly isn't supposed to try to make a tackle on a run to the other side of the line. Then, after Jake Delhomme fakes, and starts to bootleg back to the right (slowly plodding by the way) Hall recovers just in time to try and arm tackle him, instead of making a solid form tackle (shoulder in the ribs, wrap up, the whole nine yards) or at least diving at his knees to at least take out his legs. In the final insult, Hall gets dragged 5 yards (yes, I just watched the video) before Jeremy Jarmon got over there to actually get Delhomme on the ground, a yard past the marker. Three strikes and you're out buddy...at least that's what should be said this week; but it's not. No, folks will continue to point to another tipped ball interception and proclaim Hall a playmaker, this is spite of the fact that an 11 year old could make that play (in fact one of my 11 year olds made a better play on an interception this year and took it back 60 yards for a touchdown). I was told a fan actually said the following somewhere; “Hall isn’t paid to tackle, or cover, He’s here to make plays”. I’m sure that moron’s I.Q. compares closely to Forrest Gump, but anyway, I think a tackle to get the ball back with under two minutes counts as “a play”.

But while I bash DeAngelo, I know he's a symptom, and not the disease. That's Snyderitis. A player who's already "been paid" and doesn't need to follow the scheme or play his hardest has become all too common for the Redskins over the last few years...or should I say since 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment