Monday, September 28, 2009

Ruby Slippers and Redskins

So I'm getting ready for my first update on Sunday (quick plug - PGA TOUR Network, Sirius 209 and XM 146) and I turn on the monitors and TNT happens to be on. And interestingly they're showing "The Wizard of Oz". Didn't really log any time with it as I was busy working and football was on. Well at about 4pm I realized there was connection between Dorothy and her crew and the Burgundy and Gold.

I've been unable to blog over the last few days but I'll give a few quick thoughts...uninspired effort, poor coaching (motivation and schemes) and just a team not nearly as talented as they like to tell people they are. I could go on, but if you check out some of the work in the Washington Post or Times, you'll get my ideas, but much better written (check out Mike Wise and Thomas Boswell in the Post and Dan Daly in the Times).

But with all of the fan angst and vitriol over the last few days, a scene from "Oz" seemed apropos. Late in the movie, when Dorothy and the crew finally meet "the Wizard" and it’s the huge green image, Toto runs over and pulls the curtain back and they see it’s just the old man. That's kinda what happened in Detroit yesterday. The loss to the Lions made Skins fans realize what this team is; an untalented bunch that man for man (and coach for coach) might not be much better than the folks from Detroit that just broke their 19 game losing streak. And of course who created said team...the Great and powerful Snyder-rato (Dan Synder and Vinny Cerrato), who come to think it, works just about as secretly.

Anyway, don’t blame the Quarterback, don’t blame the Coach, don’t even blame the General Manager; this thing goes all the way to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment